Track and Trace Solutions for Food Processing
What are the track and trace solutions for the food processing industry?
by Barry Barcode
Food safety is paramount. Being able to quickly trace, track, identify and be accountable throughout the food supply chain is critical for the industry and for consumer’s health and well-being. The food industry is continuing to require to, through increased government regulation and also stakeholder demands, continue to enhance and expand their ability for full product accountability of their processes through technological advances in traceability with RFID systems.
With food processing, there is a vast network of manufacturers who touch a single ingredient that goes into the manufacture of the final product from seedling in the field to the market shelf and beyond. The paper trail involved in this process is large and to keep this all complied and tracked is extensive and a tedious task. Then multiply this by each manufacturing process. In order to be able to be accountable and be able to respond to product recalls, safety standards, etc. efficiently and effectively, everyone in the food supply chain has a vested interest and must work together to develop automated trace/track processes and protocols.
Key Features of an Automated Track/Trace Solution:
- tracking import/export elements of raw materials
- multi-ingredient food and additives tracking
- integration with food safety and other processing systems
- ability to track and trace internally and externally
- product history documentation from manufacturer to end user
- include barcode and/or RFID tagging solutions
Key Benefits of Track/Trace Solutions:
- provides accurate accounting of raw material processes and immediate data during the manufacturing process, inventory management and tracability of processed products
- provides greater manufacturing controls for just in time supply chain management
- decreased manufacturing costs due to availability of real time data
- allows for meeting industry labeling standards and continuous process improvement
- reduces paper and manual trace/track processes
For further information on RFID track/trace systems and barcode labeling equipment options, call us as (800) 643-2664 and immediately talk to one of our friendly representatives; or chat us up on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn!